Account types: standard users, website administrators and super administrators
The Edlio CMS allows you to manage what each person has access to. This helps you delegate responsibilities clearly. It also helps people focus on those areas of the website that are their responsibility.
What's the difference between super administrators, website administrators, and standard user accounts?
There are three basic levels of user accounts each with its own purpose.
Super Administrators (sites purchased from August 2023 onward)
Websites purchased from August 2023 onwards come with super administrators. We are in the process of introducing super administrators for school and district websites. Stay tuned for further updates.
Super administrator accounts can add, remove, and edit both super administrator and website administrator accounts. Its privileges and access are exactly the same as website administrators. Only assign your most trusted people as super administrators.
"Admin" (sites purchased before August 2023)
Websites purchased before August 2023 have a single super administrator. This is identified by the username "admin".
Each website has one super administrator account with the unique username "admin". This is the only account that can add, remove and edit website administrators. Beyond these capabilities, its privileges and access are exactly the same as website administrators.
We recommend only logging in using the "admin" username if you need to manage website administrators.
You probably have a few trusted people you want to help you manage the entire website and update regular user accounts. These are your fellow website administrators.
To make someone a website administrator login with the super admin account and check the box in their Profile next to Website Administrators.
Standard user accounts
When you add a new user account, by default it will be a standard user account without any extra privileges. That person will only have the basics when they log into your website's admin area: their own little piece of the website to hold their pages, photos, videos, and calendar.
Sometimes you may want to give someone another little piece of the website to take care of for you. You can do that! Just follow steps 3-7 from the article Add a new user to give someone access to specific categories, features and password-protected areas.
What can each kind of user account do?
|Privilege or access||
Super Administrators and users with username "admin"
|Website Administrators||Standard user accounts|
|Can manage other website administrators||✔️||no||no|
|Can manage users who are not website administrators||✔️||✔️||no|
|Can access and manage all features in the Edlio admin area||✔️||✔️||no|
|Can send emails from your organization through Email Sender||✔️||✔️||no|
|Can be given additional specific privileges||no||✔️||✔️|
You may also designate any user as belonging to one or more user types to help fine-tune their role and responsibilities on the website.
Best practices for user accounts
- Change your password from the default one the very first time you log in.
- Continue to change your password regularly.
- Limit the number of super administrators to 1 or 2.
- Only log in using the "super" admin account (admin username) if you need to make changes to website administrators. For all other tasks log in using your own username.
- Do not share the admin account with others.
- Limit the number of website administrators to 3-5.
- Delegate sections of the site to others–department chairs work on department pages, club advisors work on their club pages, coaches work on team pages, etc.
- In the event of needing a password reset, we need to send a email to the account holder's email address. For this reason, unique email addresses are required for every account.